Thursday, March 12, 2009

To Instruct... or is it to Torment???

As many of you know, I'm an avid reader, but occasionally it takes me a couple of tries with a book. I have a copy of Jane Austen's Northanger Abbey (bought at a yard sale years ago for $.10) that I have tried multiple times to get through. I normally love her books, yet this one I've found to be a bit different. *shrug* But I am finally making my way through it and enjoying it.

Yesterday I came across a paragraph that I just needed to share. I found a paragraph about homeschooling of all things! lol Catherine, the heroine, is talking to a young man about disliking history books. She says that she had always thought them to be published specifically for the torment of little children. Her young man responds by saying that perhaps her words "to torment" are synonymous with the words "to instruct."

I just had to laugh at her response!

"You think me foolish to call instruction a torment, but if you had been as much used as myself to hear poor little children first learning their letters and then learning to spell, if you had ever seen how stupid they can be for a whole morning together, and how tired my poor mother is at the end of it, as I am in the habit of seeing almost every day of my life at home, you would allow that to torment and to instruct might sometimes be used as synonymous words."

So there you have it: I do not homeschool, I torment! :)

6 comments:

Catherine said...

That's hilarious!! I didn't even know you homeschooled/tormented! I'm homeschooling through AZVA right now, what are you using for your family?

Megan said...

We don't have a set curriculum. I take bits from here and there, and we use the library a lot. :) I've found my children learn better if they have a lot of hands on stuff and not so much book work. They seem to learn best by reading and doing. Math and grammar are the only things we really have a curriculum for. :)

Momma_Nace said...

This is my new motto. I love it.

Anonymous said...

Oh you're so funny!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Catherine said...

Wow, thats a great idea! :)